Queen of Puddings Cupcakes
A suitably royal dish perfect for Jubilee celebrations
Recipe Key Facts
- Prep time: 10mins
- Cooking time: 30mins
Shellfish free | Vegetarian | Nut free*
Calories: 180 Kcal per serving
- 110g unsalted butter
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g self-raising flour, sieved
- 2 eggs
- Zest of one lemon
- 1tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- 1 jar lemon curd
- For the meringue:
- 2 egg whites
- 110g icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C gas mark 4 and line a muffin tray with cupcake cases
- Mix the butter and sugar, gradually adding the eggs until you’re left with a light, fluffy mixture.
- Slowly add the lemon zest and the flour. If needed, add milk for pliancy.
- When the mixture is smooth and drops easily from the spoon, half-fill the paper cases. Then place the tray in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until light gold and risen. Then add a dollop of lemon curd to each cupcake and turn the oven down to 170C gas mark 3.
- Now heat a bowl of water to a gentle simmer. Loosely mix the egg whites and icing sugar together in a heat-proof bowl, and place the bowl over the water - make sure the two don’t touch. Use a whisk to gently combine the egg and sugar, and beat until the meringue begins to form soft peaks.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and continuing mixing until it cools, then use a piping bag to spread the meringue on top of your cupcakes. Finally, bake in the oven for a further 10 minutes until the meringue is set.
* We cannot guarantee that recipes listed as nut-free will contain ingredients that have been produced in a nut-free environment.
Click here to submit your own recipe