Latest News at SPAR
- SPAR Brings Christmas Cheer to Marie Curie
- SPAR Store Manager Receives New Years Honour
- £60K jackpot for SPAR customers in N England in 2021
- SPAR on store recruitment drive in North of Scotland
- Free P.E. resources to get children active during lockdown
- Certas Energy acquires Seven Forecourts in the North East
- SPAR wholesaler launches new store in Cumbria
- CJ Lang wins Environment Award
- SPAR Natural makes GB debut
- The Beast from the East brings out the best in team SPAR Scotland
- SPAR Scotland first retailer to Cook with Welby
- 6,000 home deliveries dispatched from Quinn's SPAR
- SPAR Scotland gives cash back to Communities
- Too Good To Go in 275 Stores
- Airdrie retailer becomes part of the SPAR Scotland family
- Ambitious young retailer takes home Asian Trader award.
- SPAR delivers landmark 1 million pieces of PPE
- Celebrating female role models in sport
- SPAR Scotland raises £59k for Marie Curie
- AFB Launch Charity Campaign
- SPAR Coylton looks bigger and better
- SPAR Scotland extends its Snappy Shopper network
- SPAR Scotland rolls out new food-to-go brand, CJ's
- £10k Quids In Winner Announced
- SPAR's Virtual Conference
- SPAR Haworth re-opens
- SPAR Wins Big
- The future of convenience is with SPAR
- SPAR Scotland & Scottish FA
- Wellbank welcomes SPAR store
- SPAR Scotland unveils new lorry designed by 8 year old
- Community Cashback Winners Announced
- SPAR Moffat Driven to Success
- SPAR Scotland Ready For More
- SPAR Scotland Launches Euros Campaign
- Record Sales with CJ's
- SPAR Scotland trials fruit campaign
- The First SPAR UK Fresh Concept Store Opens in NI
- SPAR Scotland launch driver apprenticeship scheme
- Blakemore Retail Launches First SPAR Market Store
- Roadchef chooses EDGEPoS for its SPAR stores
- SPAR celebrates opening in Blantyre
- CJ Lang Receives RoSPA Award
- SPAR MD Louise Hoste Announced as New Chair of ACS
- The Convenience Awards 2021 winners revealed
Building on the success of last year’s virtual programme and in response to the UK’s third national lockdown, the SPAR Lancashire School Games has launched a new virtual programme of activities, designed to keep children across the county active and achieve their 60 active daily minutes.
Inactivity levels amongst children and young people have soared during the coronavirus pandemic, with the closure of schools, gyms and sports clubs significantly affecting children’s access to regular sporting opportunities.
Dominic Holroyd, Children and Young People Development Officer at Active Lancashire said, “The number of children meeting the government’s recommend 60 minutes of exercise has significantly decreased since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic. Without regular P.E. classes and competitive sport, there is a real danger that many children will not meet the recommended daily allowance, which is essential in maintaining good physical and mental health.
“The SPAR Lancashire School Games virtual programme offers downloadable resources for all age groups, in line with school P.E. curriculum and is designed to be fun and engaging. Our network of Lancashire School Games Organisers have created ‘Stay at Home Heroes Challenge’ videos and interactive activities that meet government guidance and can be adapted to small spaces with equipment found in the home.
The SPAR Lancashire School Games is the county’s largest youth sporting programme, engaging over 100,000 school children in 2019. Hosted on the games’ website and social media channels, the programme is organised and delivered by Active Lancashire and 14 Lancashire School Games Organisers.
During 2020, the games went online to great success, engaging more schools than ever before, hosting a ten week virtual programme of activity, a virtual sports day and an Active Mile challenge, which saw families across the county travelling 28,500 miles together.
Dominic added, “It is so important for children to be active. Physical activity not only helps to protect against obesity and diabetes, it also helps with concentration levels, mental health, self-confidence and good sleeping patterns. We are calling on parents, teachers and carers to ensure children are given the opportunity for daily exercise, whether that be through cycling, walking, running or by signing up to the Virtual SPAR Lancashire School Games.”
To find out more about the SPAR Lancashire School Games programme, visit www.lancashireschoolgames.co.uk
Find your local SPAR