Blood-curdling Bat Cakes
SPAR Easy Meals
Cook Time: 30 mins
Crazy for chocolate? Batty for baking? Make our delicious chocolate bat cakes for a Halloween that's all treats and no tricks.
What you'll need
- 100g SPAR plain flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 140g SPAR sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 140g SPAR butter, at room temperature
- 120ml SPAR whole milk
- 1 SPAR egg
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate sandwich biscuits or similar, to decorate
- Small sweets, to decorate
For the buttercream
- 100g milk chocolate
- 200g SPAR butter, softened
- 400g icing sugar
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp SPAR milk
- Heat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4. Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, a pinch of salt and the butter in a bowl and mix with a handheld electric whisk until everything is combined.
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a jug, then slowly pour about half into the flour mixture.
- Beat to combine and then add the remaining liquid and continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until approximately two-thirds full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream. Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely-simmering water (make sure the bowl isn’t touching the water). Stir until melted, then leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix the butter and icing sugar together with a fork, then with a wooden spoon. Sift in the cocoa and pour in the melted chocolate, a pinch of salt and the milk, then mix again until smooth.
- Spoon the icing into a piping bag and pipe the buttercream in a swirl on top of each cupcake.
- Decorate with biscuits cut in half to make ‘wings’ and add sweets for the eyes and mouth.