Cook Time: 10 mins
Whether you’re vegetarian or vegan, hot dogs can still happen thanks to this carrot dog recipe. In fact, they’re surprisingly convincing at first glance.
What you'll need
Carrots – one per hot dog roll
Hot dog rolls
Marinade ingredients – flavour to your preference – we like a teriyaki marinade using soy sauce, honey, garlic power, ground ginger, but feel free to adapt to your tastes
Condiments to serve such as mustard, ketchup, mayo
It takes a bit of prep time in advance, but trust us, this is well worth it. For maximum flavours, you’ll want to prepare your carrots the day before your BBQ.
- Peel your carrots, trimming and shaping the ends so that they’ll fit in a bun and also have an almost “hot dog” shape
- Boil your carrots in water until they are tender, but not too soft, if you use a fork
- Leave your carrots to cool, then place in a dish, and pour over your chosen marinade.
- Leave in the fridge, ideally overnight but for at least one hour, to let the flavours sink in.
- BBQ time? Remove your carrots from the fridge and grill them on the BBQ or heat through in a pan, to get those final flavours coming through. Make sure your carrots are piping hot throughout before serving.
- Get creative! It’s time to assemble your carrot hot dogs. Place one carrot in each hot dog roll, and drizzle over mustard, ketchup, fried onions – whatever works for you.
Head to your local convenience store to stock up on ingredients!