Baked Beans Substitute
Ran out of baked beans? No problem. Use this #SPARSubtitute and rustle your own up with a can of chickpeas.
At a Glance
How to make Baked Beans Substitute
Looking for an alternative? This substitute recipe is nutritional, gluten free, vegetarian and full of flavour!
What you'll need:
- 1/2 brown onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp (brown) sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 400g tin chickpeas
- 1 handful of fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Finely chop the onion and sauté with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat until onions are soft.
- Add your garlic and cook for half a minute. Stir in the smoked paprika and cook briefly with the onions (about 10 seconds), stirring constantly.
- Stir in tinned tomatoes. Season the tomato sauce with sugar, salt and pepper.
- Stir in chickpeas.
- At the very end, cut spinach into coarse strips and add them to the sauce.
- Serve the chickpeas on toasted bread with grated parmesan and parsley.
Think quick & easy meals can never taste good? Think again!
Receive our latest deals, news and competitions straight to your inbox!