Looking for a tasty seasonal treat? Our cinnamon rolls recipe is just the trick – big, fluffy, soft and delicious, find out how to make cinnamon rolls at home below.
At a Glance
How to make Cinnamon Rolls
The perfect recipe to bake up a sweet treat, make a large batch and freeze a few for later – the perfect rainy-day snack. Check out our easy cinnamon rolls recipe below.
What you'll need:
For the dough
¾ cup warm milk (whole milk is preferred)
2 ¼ tsp quick rise active yeast
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk at room temperature
¼ cup of unsalted butter, melted
3 cups of bread flour, plus some more for dusting
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp oil (oiling bowl for proving)
For the filling
2/3 cup dark brown sugar (light brown sugar also works)
1 ½ tbsp ground cinnamon
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
For the cream cheese frosting
4 oz cream cheese, softened
3 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup icing sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c/fan 160°C/Gas mark 4 and grease a 20cm loose bottom cake tin, lining the bottom with baking parchment.
- Warm milk in the microwave for around 40-45 seconds, until lukewarm and then place into a bowl and add your yeast.
- Then, add in the sugar, egg, egg yolk and melted butter, and mix until well combined. Once well mixed, stir in the flour and salt until a dough begins to form.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and use your hands to knead it for around 8-10 mins – until the dough forms into a nice round ball.
- Then, transfer your dough ball into a well-oiled bowl and cover with cling film and a warm towel. Leave the dough to rise for around 1-1 ½ hours until it has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, roll it out into about a roughly 14x9 inch rectangle. Spread the softened butter over the dough, leaving a small margin at the far side.
- Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon and then gently rub into the surface of the dough.
- Roll the dough up lengthways like a swiss roll to form a log Top tip: You may need to cut off the ends of the dough as they won’t be filled with delicious cinnamon sugar!
- Cut the dough into nine even rolls. Place your cinnamon rolls into the prepared tin, cover with cling film and let them sit to rise for another 30 mins.
- Remove cling film and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden on the edges. Allow to cool for 5 mins until removing from the tin.
- 11. In a bowl place the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and smother over the buns. Enjoy!
Receive our latest deals, news and competitions straight to your inbox!