- Defrost the pastry according to the instructions. Once ready, roll the pastry into a log and cut into four equal pieces. Take one piece to work on, while keeping the others chilled in the fridge.
- Put the swede, potatoes, onions and beef into a bowl and mix together. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Put to one side.
- Form the pastry into a ball, then flatten using a rolling pin until the pastry disc is roughly the size of a dinner plate.
- Spoon a quarter of the filling mixture onto one half of the pastry, keeping the filling back from a one-inch border at the top of the disc. Add a knob of margarine onto the top of the filling.
- Fold the pastry over the filling, joining the edges together. Using a fork or by twisting small sections, firmly seal the edges of the pastry. In a traditional Cornish pasty recipe, the edge would be sealed by twisting or crimping the edge roughly 20 times. Fold the corners underneath to achieve the traditional shape.
- Place the pasties on a lined baking tray. Brush the top of each one with the beaten egg mixture (add a pinch of salt for authenticity).
- Cook in the oven for 45 minutes at 170˚C, until golden brown. If the pasties aren’t browning, up the temperature to 180˚C for an extra five to ten minutes at the end.
Pop in to your local SPAR and grab all the ingredients you need for our Cornish pasty recipe. Make sure to double up on ingredients if you think they might be popular at home! Love our delicious Cornish pasty recipe? Want more inspiration? Sign up to our newsletter for recipes, deals, competitions and foodie goodness.