- Preheat the oven to 200˚C before placing your sweet potatoes on a large baking tray lined with baking paper. Pierce each potato a couple of times, before baking for 45 minutes or until they are soft.
- Once they are out of the oven, cut them in half and scoop out the inside of the potato into a large bowl before placing the skins on another tray lined with baking paper, face up. Drizzle them with olive oil and bake them for another 10 minutes.
- While they’re in the oven, add your milk, salt and black pepper (to taste) to the bowl of potato before mashing until creamy and smooth.
- Chop your spring onion and place in a bowl with your grated cheddar and mozzarella.
- After 10 minutes, remove your potato skins from the oven – they’re now ready to be loaded. Fill each of the skins with an equal amount of mashed sweet potato, before topping it with your mix of onion and cheese.
- Place into the oven for another 15 minutes until the cheese is melted, and cook your bacon strips until crispy while you wait.
- Remove from the oven and chop the bacon into a crumbled form, before using it to top your loaded skins.
- Serve with a topping of chopped chives and a pot of sour cream if you desire. Top Tip: If you have a large enough oven, this recipe can be multiplied over and over to serve for a crowd!
And there you have it, sweet potato skins with cheese and bacon! A stray from tradition, but good enough to make it worthwhile. Wondering what to serve with loaded potato skins? Pair them alongside a striking salad for a healthier option, or make the most of their versatility and serve with steak, chicken or fish. There are a number of variations you can use too, with a range of different potatoes!
Now you’re a master of the loaded potato skins, test out your skills by using fresh ingredients from your local SPAR. If you don’t want to miss out on other divine delicacies, sign up to our E-newsletter for other exciting eats straight to your inbox, as well as all of our competitions and latest deals.