Whether you’re looking for a fun activity to complete with the kids, or a new way to show your appreciation for the NHS during this time, why not try your hand at some rainbow baking? Our delicious rainbow cupcakes are easy to make and topped with colourful buttercream frosting – you really can’t go wrong. Better yet, drop one off to each of the NHS workers you know as a way to show your support!
Cook Time: 20 mins
Try our delicious swirly rainbow cupcake recipe at home – a fun-filled recipe for the whole family and a great way to show your appreciation for the NHS.
What you'll need
For the cupcakes:
100g soft margarine or soft unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
For the icing:
175g butter, softened
350g icing sugar, sifted
5-7 drops of gel food colouring
Piping bag with star nozzle
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6.
- Place 18 cake cases into a muffin tin.
- Measure all the rainbow cupcake ingredients into a large bowl and beat well for around 2-3 minutes, until the mixture forms a smooth cake batter.
- Using a spoon, fill the cake cases halfway to allow the mixture to rise when cooking.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for around 15-20 minutes, or until the cakes are well risen and golden brown on top.
- Lift the cakes out of the muffin tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- While your rainbow cupcakes are cooling, it’s time to make your buttercream icing! Start by beating the butter and icing sugar together until smooth.
- Turn your piping bag inside out and then drizzle each colour of gel food colouring evenly down the edge of the bag to create stripes.
- Turn the bag the right side out and, fit with the star nozzle and fill with your buttercream frosting.
- Making sure your holding the bag in a vertical position, pipe the buttercream in a spiral-like shape to create your rainbow swirl cakes. You might need a second pair of hands to hold the cupcake whilst doing so to create the perfect swirl!
Top Tip: Start from the outside edge and slowly spiral your icing inwards, building height to create a centre peak.
And there you have it – our fun-filled rainbow cupcake recipe! Find all the ingredients you need for these deliciously colourful cupcakes at your local SPAR and sign up to our E-newsletter for our latest recipes and competitions.