- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over a medium-low heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and fry for 5-7 minutes, or until soft. Add in the garlic and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and add in your mince, frying it off for a few minutes until it browns.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and cook until it comes to a light simmer. Then, add the purée, mixed herbs, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar and sugar. Stir to combine and then turn the heat to low – letting the Bolognese sauce bubble away for as long as possible (up to an hour is good) to reduce it down and draw out all the flavour. Top tip: You can skip out the simmer and bake your Bolognese for around 40 minutes for an extra burst of flavour before serving – just make sure you give it a stir halfway through and add a little water if it needs it.
- About 10 minutes before dinnertime, pop some spaghetti on to cook (according to the pack instructions). Cooking for two instead of six? Pop the rest of the Bolognese sauce into the freezer for later.
- Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan and some chopped basil.
And that’s how to make Bolognese! Quick, simple and utterly delicious, pick up all the deals and groceries you need for this Bolognese recipe from your local SPAR. At SPAR, we’re full of fun recipes to share with you. Got FOMO? Sign up to our E-newsletter to stay up to date with all of our latest recipes, competitions and news.