Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
Cheese the day with these fried mozzarella sticks, leaving frozen boxes behind. Prep ahead and make the most of this easy mozzarella sticks recipe.
At a Glance
How To Make Mozzarella Sticks
Learn how to craft a British favourite, adopted from our American cousins, the mozzarella sticks. Perfect as a summer snack or an autumn warmer when paired with a spicy tomato dip. These mozzarella cheese sticks are a firm family favourite – but beware, once you’ve tried one, you’ll want them all for yourself!
What you'll need:
- Take your block of mozzarella and cut it into the shape of oven chips. Top Tip: It may be worth making a few extra sticks, just in case some of them don’t work out while you’re mastering the mozzarella sticks recipe!
- Put 50g of flower into a bowl and season to taste. Grab another bowl and break your eggs into it before whisking well.
- Place your breadcrumbs, paprika and oregano into a third bowl.
- Coat each mozzarella stick in the flour, then the egg, and then the breadcrumb mixture, before transferring them to a lined baking tray.
- Freeze for at least two hours. Top Tip: Freezing your mozzarella sticks helps to firm the cheese and coating before frying – making sure they retain their shape in the oil.
- Heat your oil in a saucepan, ensuring there is a depth of two to three centimetres.
- When the oil is hot, drop in your first stick as a ‘test’. It should brown within a minute or two.
- Cook for long enough to let the outside crisp up without letting the mozzarella out.
- Once you’re happy with your technique, cook in batches and drain on kitchen paper.
Receive our latest deals, news and competitions straight to your inbox!