Looking for a filling green lentil & vegetable soup recipe? You’ve come to the right place! Full of flavour & healthy nutrients, our easy recipe is the ultimate lunch time meal. It’s perfect served with crusty bread or you could even add some cooked chicken for a non-vegan option
At a Glance
How to make Lentil Soup
Looking to boost your fibre intake? This lentil soup recipe is sure to do that, and you only need one pot to cook it in! Our recipe for lentil soup is the perfect winter warmer.
What you'll need:
- 350 g dried green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon (zest + juice)
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1.5 l low-sodium vegetable stock
- 400g tin tomatoes
- To serve: Warm bread and chopped parsley
- Add oil to a large pot and heat it a little. Sauté onion and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped celery, carrot and continue cooking until softened, for about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for salt and lemon. Stir, raise the heat and simmer, scooping and discarding scum on the surface off. Turn down the heat and simmer until lentils are soft, for about 35-40 minutes, covered.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender and let it cool. Blend it and transfer back to the pot with the remaining soup.
- To adjust soup consistency, add splash of water. Season with pepper and salt, to taste.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest and squeeze over lemon juice.
- Garnish warm lentil soup with parsley, if needed and serve with crust warm bread slathered liberally with butter.
Receive our latest deals, news and competitions straight to your inbox!