Roasted Vegetable Toad in the Hole
This vegetarian toad in the hole recipe is stuffed with seasonal vegetables and encased in fluffy, extremely light Yorkshire pudding batter, making this Veggie toad in the hole a delicious main or side dish for the family, any day of the week.
At a Glance
How to make Roasted Vegetable Toad in the Hole
Wondering how to make vegetarian toad in the hole? Try our toad in the hole recipe with a twist. This vegetarian recipe works well as a main course or a side dish for a roast to save space on your plate. It's easily adaptable, and you can opt for a more traditional approach by making a veggie sausage toad in the hole for a more hearty option if you wish. Alternatively, cook the batter in muffin trays for individual portions to make your veggie toad in the hole a bite-size brilliance.
What you'll need:
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 100g carrots, cut into quarters
- 100g butternut squash, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves picked
- 200g plain flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 275ml semi-skimmed milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas mark 6.
- Place the onion, carrots, butternut squash and garlic into a roasting dish. Drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and toss with the mixed herbs and rosemary. Transfer to the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until cooked and golden.
- To make the batter, put the flour in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle and crack the eggs into it. Whisk the eggs, flour, and salt together, while slowly adding in the milk until you have a smooth batter.
- Remove the vegetables from the roasting tin and set aside. Increase the oven temperature to 220°C/200°C Fan/Gas 7. Add the remaining oil to the dish and transfer back to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the dish from the oven and pour in the batter. Scatter over the roasted vegetables. Transfer back to the oven and bake your vegetarian stuffed Yorkshire pudding for 30 minutes or until risen and golden.
Tips & Tweaks
You can make veggie sausage toad in the hole by simply following the recipe above and adding vegetarian sausages.
Receive our latest deals, news and competitions straight to your inbox!