Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
At a Glance
Take the hassle out of meat free Mondays with this vegetarian stuffed peppers recipe. Perfect as a side or serve as a filling main dish topped with sour cream and avocado.
This recipe for vegetarian stuffed peppers is a testament to how your meals can be both delicious and guilt-free at the same time.
Tip: The filling can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to 2 days, simply zap it in the microwave for 45-60 seconds before spooning into the peppers and baking in the oven.
How to make Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Our easy to follow steps to cooking this dish to perfection are below. This recipe is very easy to adapt for vegans, just omit the cheese and sour cream!
What you'll need:
- 4 large green, red, orange or yellow bell peppers cored, seeded and sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 small avocado peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- hot sauce for serving
- sour cream for serving
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 medium tomatoes seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves chopped
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 1 small yellow summer squash finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped
- 1/2 cup canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Cover a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients for the stuffing and mix well. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Place the peppers facing up on the tray and stuff evenly with rice mixture and top with grated cheese.
- Cover the tray with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and increase heat to 400ºF. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Optional: Serve topped with avocado, hot sauce and/or sour cream.
*Recipe adapted from Foodista, licensed under CC BY 3.0.