The Best Bolognese Recipe
Why get it out of a jar, when you can make your own? Whether you’re after a meaty or vegetarian Bolognese recipe – we have you covered. Because you just can’t beat a traditional spaghetti Bolognese.
At a Glance
15 minutes to 1 hour
How to make the best Bolognese!
An Italian classic - we have the best Bolognese recipe for all occasions. Whether it's a cosy night in on the sofa or a dinner party with friends, cook up a tasty treat with SPAR.
What you'll need:
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 white onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 500g mince – beef or veggie alternative!
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
For the Bolognese sauce
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 800g plum or chopped tomatoes
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1tsp sugar
- 1tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3tsp balsamic vinegar, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over a medium-low heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and fry for 5-7 minutes, or until soft. Add in the garlic and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and add in your mince, frying it off for a few minutes until it browns.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and cook until it comes to a light simmer. Then, add the purée, mixed herbs, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar and sugar. Stir to combine and then turn the heat to low – letting the Bolognese sauce bubble away for as long as possible (up to an hour is good) to reduce it down and draw out all the flavour. Top tip: You can skip out the simmer and bake your Bolognese for around 40 minutes for an extra burst of flavour before serving – just make sure you give it a stir halfway through and add a little water if it needs it.
- About 10 minutes before dinnertime, pop some spaghetti on to cook (according to the pack instructions). Cooking for two instead of six? Pop the rest of the Bolognese sauce into the freezer for later.
- Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan and some chopped basil.
Receive our latest deals, news and competitions straight to your inbox!