- Take your block of mozzarella and cut it into the shape of oven chips. Top Tip: It may be worth making a few extra sticks, just in case some of them don’t work out while you’re mastering the mozzarella sticks recipe!
- Put 50g of flower into a bowl and season to taste. Grab another bowl and break your eggs into it before whisking well.
- Place your breadcrumbs, paprika and oregano into a third bowl.
- Coat each mozzarella stick in the flour, then the egg, and then the breadcrumb mixture, before transferring them to a lined baking tray.
- Freeze for at least two hours. Top Tip: Freezing your mozzarella sticks helps to firm the cheese and coating before frying – making sure they retain their shape in the oil.
- Heat your oil in a saucepan, ensuring there is a depth of two to three centimetres.
- When the oil is hot, drop in your first stick as a ‘test’. It should brown within a minute or two.
- Cook for long enough to let the outside crisp up without letting the mozzarella out.
- Once you’re happy with your technique, cook in batches and drain on kitchen paper.
And there you have it! Our homemade mozzarella sticks recipe – the perfect accompaniment to the weekend. Serve your fried mozzarella sticks with your favourite dips. We've found that mayonnaise or a spicy tomato salsa work best.
Whether you’re saving the sticks for a warm summer's day, or plan on moving the goalposts a little bit closer for the football, you can pick up the ingredients you need from your local SPAR. For more delicious surprises – ranging from seasonal recipes and guides to our latest deals and competitions – sign up to our E-newsletter.