1. Preheat the oven to 220⁰ C.
2. Sieve the flour into a large bowl, then add the butter to rub together, creating a breadcrumb mixture. Next, add the caster sugar, salt and one egg. Stir well.
3. Place your mixture on a floured surface, folding the mixture until the pastry comes together. Wrap in cling film and leave to chill in the refrigerator for 10 mins.
4. Combine your mincemeat, satsumas, apple and lemon zest together into a bowl. Stir well until all ingredients are mixed together.
5. Next, roll out your cooled pastry and cut out 10 circular bases – or however many holes your muffin tray has – using a round pastry cutter. Place these bases into a muffin tray and add your mincemeat mixture to each base.
6. Repeat the method for cutting out 10 lids, placing them on top of the pies and glazing each pie with the beaten egg.
7. Sprinkle the icing sugar on top of the pies and, using a fork, make a couple of small cuts in the tops of the lids.
8. Place in the oven to bake for 20 mins until golden brown. Leave to stand for 10 mins to cool, and then your homemade mince pies are ready to serve.
Whether it’s an after-work treat with an accompanying cuppa, or more of a dessert served with custard, rum butter or brandy, there are endless ways to serve up your homemade mince pies. Find everything you need to make your own mince pies from your nearest convenience store.
*Recipe adapted from Foodista, licensed under CC BY 3.0.