Lemon Meringue Pie
Tangy and zesty. This lemon meringue is an impressive classic that everyone will love!
At a Glance
How to make a lemon meringue pie
A perfect base of pastry, with zesty lemon curd and mounds of impeccable toasty meringue, who doesn't love a lemon meringue pie! Check out our recipe below and you'll be pleasing crowds with this classic.
What you'll need:
- 200g shortcrust pastry
- 3 lemons
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 100g granulated sugar
- 50g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- Cream to serve (optional)
- Use 250g ready made shortcrust pastry to line a 20-22cm loose bottomed fluted tart tin.
- Prick the base, line with parchment and baking beans and bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 15 minutes, remove the paper and beans and bake for another 5 minutes until the pastry is set and beginning to brown.
- Finely grate the zest from 2 lemons and squeeze the juice from 3. Beat together with 4 egg yolks and 2 tablespoons cornflour. Stir in 100ml water and 100g granulated sugar, heat gently, stirring constantly until thick. Stir in 50g butter until melted. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk 4 egg whites until stiff, add 175g caster sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time whisking well between each until you have stiff and glossy meringue.
- Spoon the lemon mixture into the pastry case, top with the meringue, swirling the top and bake at 170C for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving with cream if liked.
Receive our latest deals, news and competitions straight to your inbox!