Serves: 6 people
Cook Time: 20 mins
Quick and easy SPAR recipe for sticky toffee pudding with tasty toffee sauce. An indulgent treat that is cosy and comforting perfect for those with a sweet tooth. Makes the perfect Sunday lunch dessert. The question is what to dollop on top?
What you'll need
- 2 medium eggs
- 150g chopped dates
- 250ml water
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75g butter
- 125g light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp black treacle
- 200g flour
- 125g brown sugar
- 125g butter
- 200ml double cream
- Butter 6 ramekins or oven proof pudding basins. Place 150g chopped dates in a pan, cover with 250ml water and bring to the boil, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in 11⁄2 tsp bicarbonate of soda and mix until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 170C fan. In a food processor cream 75g butter, 125g light brown sugar and 2 tbsp black treacle until pale and soft.
- Beat 2 eggs together and gradually add to the mixture. Sift over 200g flour, gently fold in or pulse on the machine. Stir in the blended dates.
- Spoon into the ramekins or basins, place on a baking tray and cook for 20-25 minutes until springy.
- Combine 125g brown sugar, 125g butter and 150 ml cream in a pan, heat gently stirring until well combined and toffee like.
- Invert the pudding basins onto small serving plates and pour over the sauce.
This elegant sparkling wine, from near Barcelona in Spain, is principally a great aperitif but also a fantastic food wine and provides lovely refreshment with this sticky toffee pudding.