Getting the kids ready for school is no easy task – and making sure they’ve got a healthy packed lunch can be an added pressure! So, to help things go a little more smoothly, we’ve compiled a list of seven scrummy lunchbox ideas for the kids. Even if your little ones are fussy eaters, you’ll find a variety of packed lunch ideas for kids – from mini pizza roll ups to little rainbow spring rolls. Make lunchtime more exciting and check out our recipe ideas today!
1. Make Your Own Lunchable
We’re starting with one of the most fun lunchbox recipes – DIY lunchables! The beauty of this recipe is that you can tailor it to your child’s preferences. Here’s what we’d recommend for a balanced lunch:
- Mini crackers
- Cubed cheddar cheese
- Sliced ham or turkey
- Pepper strips
Pack these ingredients into a lunchbox and let the little ones construct their own lunchtime masterpiece.
2. Pitta, Dips & Veg
We understand the importance of making sure your family are eating healthily. With this lunchbox idea, you can rest assured your little ones are getting plenty of nutrients to fuel their day of learning! Just gather these ingredients and pop them into your kids’ lunch box:
- Mini pittas – toasted and cut into strips
- Carrot sticks
- Celery sticks
- Pepper sticks
- A small tub of houmous
With this healthy lunchbox idea, you’ll be able to replace the vegetables with whatever take your child’s fancy. Got a picky eater? Try adding a few small bread sticks into the mix. Alternatively, try cutting an apple into slices for them to dip into wholegrain peanut butter. Check out our range of delicious dips to really top off this lunchtime snack.
3. Mini Mexican Feast
Why not treat your kids to a mini fiesta at lunch time? It sounds complicated, but this tasty treat is super easy to make – and your kids will thank you for it too! To make these mini Mexican burritos, just follow these steps:
- Fry some minced beef and finely chopped onion in a pan until browned. Add some taco seasoning and a couple of teaspoons of water, then stir. Next, remove from heat and stir in some kidney beans, mild salsa and grated cheddar cheese.
- Warm in the microwave and then cut a tortilla into 4 slices. Next, spoon 2 teaspoons of filling onto each quarter. Fold the sides in and roll up to the small end, creating a mini burrito. Add a small pot of guacamole or sour cream to dip and then you’re ready to go – a perfect snack for the office as well!
4. Hidden Vegetable Pasta
We know how difficult it is when your little ones are anti vegetable! With this ingenious recipe, you can feed them veggies and they’ll be none-the-wiser. One of our favourite lunchbox recipes for kids, this one can be enjoyed hot or cold. Find out how to make it below:
- Cook some pasta and then set aside. For the sauce, finely chop some onion, celery, leeks, carrots, peppers and courgettes, then fry on a medium heat with olive oil. Mince a clove of garlic and then add to the pan alongside some mixed herbs.
- Cook for about 20 minutes until soft, then add some tomatoes, tomato puree, and a cup of vegetable stock. Mix together, reduce the heat and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Let the mix cool slightly, then blend in a food processor until completely smooth. Add in the pasta and pop in a tightly sealed container ready for your kids to tuck into at lunch time!
5. Mini Pizza Roll Ups
Everyone loves pizza, especially children. That’s why it has a well-deserved spot on our list of lunchbox recipes for kids! As a special treat, whip up this delicious packed lunch for your youngsters – just follow these simple steps to find out how:
- Chop some spinach and briefly wilt in a pan. Using shop bought or homemade pizza dough, spread over a lined baking tray then add some tomato passata, oregano, wilted spinach and grated mozzarella. Top tip: make sure to spread all the ingredients right to the edges so each roll has plenty of filling inside!
- Next, roll up the pizza into a log, cut 12 even slices and place each roll into a greased baking tray. Pop in the oven at 180°C for 15-20 minutes and voila! Some yummy food and happy children – win win!
6. Little Rainbow Spring Rolls
Looking for vegan kids’ lunchbox ideas? We’ve got just the thing. Full of nutrients and beautifully colourful, try our little rainbow sushi rolls! Follow our step-by-step recipe below:
- Place a large rice paper wrapper in water for 20 seconds until slightly softened.
- Next, lay it on a chopping board and place 3 thin pepper, cucumber and carrot strips and some thinly sliced avocado on the lower-middle section of the wrapper. Roll up the veggies and repeat as many times as you like!
- Make a dipping sauce with some low salt soy sauce, a clove of minced garlic, some vegan peanut butter and a squeeze of lime. Fry the garlic first, then mix the ingredients above with some water – continuously stirring until it thickens.
- Move to a bowl to let the flavours infuse and then pop into a small container alongside the rainbow rolls.
8. Sandwich Kebabs
And last but not least, the humble sandwich – with a twist. Sandwiches can get a bit boring, but not when you present them like this. Discover how we make this exciting lunchbox recipe below:
- Cut up some wholemeal bread into little squares and cut some toppings in the same size.
- For fillings, we’d suggest cheese and cucumber, boiled egg and tomato or ham and red pepper – whatever is your little one’s preference.
- To finish, layer the bread and fillings on a kebab stick (make sure it’s not too sharp) and then you’re done! For something a little different, intersperse the sandwiches with tomatoes, grapes or other lunchbox favourites.
Now you know all of our easy lunchbox ideas for school, why not give some of them a go yourself? Head down to your to grab your ingredients before you start. Having the kids’ friends round for tea? Check out our Kids Pizza Party blog for ultimate parent points.
Find your local SPAR
Find your local SPAR