Picture this: it’s a cold, winters night. The fire is on and you’re watching a feel-good movie with a bowl of our delicious mac and cheese. This comforting recipe is quick and easy to make, filling and completely heart-warming. A real crowd pleaser. Perfect for a cosy night in with friends or family, or even a quick dinner for one, bake this dish for the ultimate cheesy experience. Also delicious served alongside a summer BBQ with a crunchy, fresh salad– it’s "grate"!
Sweet dreams are made of cheese! Follow our simple yet delicious recipe to create a mouth-watering dish of mac and cheese.
- 300g of elbow macaroni pasta, or another short pasta
- 30g of butter
- 25g of flour
- 475ml of milk
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 200g of grated cheddar cheese
- 100g of grated parmesan
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 60g of breadcrumbs (optional)
- Worcestershire sauce (optional)
Follow these quick and easy steps for our tasty homemade mac and cheese.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and start boiling your pasta. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add garlic to the butter and stir until the garlic is sticky and golden.
- Stir in the flour, leave for 1 minute and then gradually add the milk, whisking until the mixture becomes lump free. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes whilst whisking to thicken it up.
- Take the mixture off the heat and add in the cheddar and half of the parmesan.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and add your preferred seasonings.
Top Tip: If you’re using it, now is the time to add in the worcestershire sauce for an extra punch of flavour. Remember to taste as you go along so the flavour isn’t overpowering – start off with a couple of splashes!
- Move the mixture into an ovenproof dish, sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and the remaining parmesan.
- Bake the mac and cheese dish until golden brown and crispy.
Easy mac and cheese additions
- Bacon mac and cheese: add some cooked bacon for a crispy, salty topping.
- Mac and cheese with stilton: switch out the parmesan for stilton, or another blue cheese to add a deeper flavour.
- Garlic salt: it tastes great with everything!
- Hot sauce: switch out the worcestershire sauce for something a little spicier to give the dish an extra kick. For even more spice, add some jalepeños on top.
- Veggies: add in some vegetables for extra colour and flavour. You could try: tomatoes, mushrooms, roasted peppers and onions.
Vegan mac and cheese recipe
Try out our alternative mac and cheese for vegans!
- 400g of elbow macaroni pasta, or another short pasta
- 160g of raw cashews.
Top tip: soak them in cold water for a couple of hours before you start – this will make them easier to blend.
- 175ml of a milk alternative of your choice
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 50g of nutritional yeast
- A clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika (save half for garnish)
- ½ teaspoon of chilli powder (optional)
- Vegan panko breadcrumbs
- Black pepper, to taste
Create a tasty dish of vegan mac and cheese by following these steps:
- Cook the pasta following the directions on the packet and if you soaked them, drain the cashews.
- Whilst your pasta is cooking, add the cashews, milk, salt, nutritional yeast, garlic, mustard, smoked paprika and chilli powder into a blender, and blend until the mixture is smooth.
Top tip: if the mixture is too thick, add a little more milk or some water to loosen it back up and blend again.
Once the pasta is cooked to your liking, drain and return to the pot. Season to taste and stir in your “cheese” sauce. Sprinkle over a handful of panko breadcrumbs and bake in the oven until golden brown and crispy.
Impress your friends and family and make this mouth-watering mac and cheese recipe at your next get-together. Also perfect for a cosy at-home meal in front of the TV! Serve up with some of our vegetarian stuffed peppers or follow up with a scrumptious vegan brownie with walnuts.
Now you know how to make mac and cheese, head to your local SPAR to shop the ingredients!
Find your local SPAR