Afternoon tea is supposed to be a quintessential British pastime, but if you are anything like us here at SPAR, we never seem to actually enjoy it unless it’s a really special occasion! However, we LOVE tea and cake and seeing as it is Afternoon Tea Week, we can’t think of a better excuse to enjoy a sweet treat or two with friends or family.
Tea is obviously crucial to your afternoon tea experience, so whether you are partial to Earl Grey, builders or even a lovely herbal tea we have a wide range of hot drinks to choose from here at SPAR. If your hosting more of a celebration, you could always add our award-winning Perlezza Prosecco into the mix for something special. Place a raspberry in each flute for extra sparkle!
Our favourite sandwiches for afternoon tea are cucumber, egg and cress, coronation chicken or smoked salmon. Cut them into little finger slices to complete the look! As well as sandwiches, why not branch out and add some other savoury nibbles into the mix. Small bites of sausage rolls work perfectly in this set up as do miniature quiches or scotch eggs.
Coronation chicken recipe
250g Shredded cooked chicken
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp mango chutney
2 tsp mild curry powder
Sultanas and flaked almonds to garnish
Crusty bread & salad to serve
- Mix the mayonnaise, mango chutney and curry powder together and season well
- Add in the cooked chicken and stir through – add the sultanas and flaked almonds if using
- Spoon the chicken mixture onto the bread and add some salad
Mini sausage rolls recipe
375g Pre-rolled puff pastry
400g Sausage meat (or sausages)
Small bunch of parsley, finely chopped
Mustard or chutney of your choice (we like onion relish)
Sesame seeds or fennel seeds for a delicious garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas mark 6. Mix the sausage meat with the finely chopped parsley and season well, add a little water to loosen. (if using sausages make sure to remove the skins first)
- Unroll the pastry and cut in half lengthways and spread a little mustard or chutney on the pastry, if using.
- Spoon the sausagemeat mixture in the middle of the length of pastry leaving 1cm of pastry free on either side.
- Tightly roll the pastry around the sausagemeat and squeeze together the ends to secure.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the roll into small bite size pieces
- Glaze with milk or egg and then sprinkle the seeds on top as a garnish
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and puffy.
The cakes and treats are what really make afternoon tea, and of course no tea would be complete without scones. Our easy scone recipe is delicious and works whether you are adamant that it’s jam-before-cream or cream-before-jam!
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
25g caster sugar
Splash of milk
Jam & clotted cream to serve
- Preheat over to 200C / gas mark 7
- Put the flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl. Cut the butter into small cubes and rub into the bowl, until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and splash of milk to make a dough with a sticky texture
- Roll the pastry on a lightly floured surface until 2cm thick
- Using a glass or 5cm cutter, cut the pastry into as many rounds as possible (around 8)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or so, until they are light golden brown.
- Once cool serve with jam and cream
Short on time?
Or, if you are short on time, instead pick up some of our award-winning cakes and desserts for an easy teatime treat. Our Raspberry Unicorn Cupcakes are a vanilla flavoured cupcake with topped with raspberry fudge and unicorn sugar sprinkles. The chocoholics out there will love our gooey Chocolate Chip Muffins or if you are looking for a showstopper classic, look no further than our hand finished luxury Victoria Sponge.
So, if you are feeling really fancy, why not dig out that old cake stand and dust off your china teapot and make a real occasion of it? Afternoon tea also easily translates to a picnic which is perfect for celebrating in a social distancing manner right now. Visit your local SPAR for all these delicious ingredients, cakes and more.
Find your local SPAR