Chilli con carne is definitely up there with the best winter-warming meals of all time. Best served with piping hot rice, this classic dish allows you to get creative in time for Bonfire Night. You can opt for a pre-made jar of chilli sauce and add your own spices, or you can start from scratch. Just follow this straightforward recipe:
- Mix minced beef with your chilli sauce in a frying pan, pressing it with your wooden spoon to break up any lumps.
- As the meat starts to turn brown in places, add in a hint of paprika and some ground cumin, or to really heat things up, why not chuck in some hot chilli flakes? 5 minutes before the end, add your kidney beans.
- Serve with plain boiled rice and you can rest assured your guests won’t go hungry! All they need to complete this succulent dish is a beverage of a similar nature, but what goes with chilli con carne?
For a fiery twist on a classic Bonfire Night drink, try Mexican hot chocolate!
- 120ml of whole milk
- 1½ tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 5tsp of ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp of cayenne pepper
- 170g chocolate chips
- 25g cocoa powder
To make this tasty treat, all you need to do is:
- Whisk your milk, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla extract in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the chocolate and keep stirring until it has melted.
- Simmer on a low heat for five minutes and serve as you wish!
Not only does this hot drink settle those sweet after-dinner cravings, but it also complements the chilli con carne perfectly!