Before you throw out that bunch of overripe bananas, use your loaf and try out this easy banana bread recipe – it’s a real bread winner! Fill your kitchen with the sweet scent of a freshly baked banana loaf and put a smile on everyone’s faces.
Banana bread ingredients
Before you make our easy banana bread recipe, you’ll need a loaf tin and the following tasty ingredients:
- 2 x large mashed bananas (make sure they’re nice and ripe first)
- 100g of softened butter, plus a little extra to coat the sides of your baking tin
- 170g of caster sugar
- 200g of self-raising flour
- 2 x large beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 75g of icing sugar
- A handful of chocolate chips or chopped walnuts – or anything else you might fancy as a topping!
How to make banana bread
Follow these easy steps to make our delicious banana bread:
- First things first, preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Then, line your loaf tin with butter and baking paper to prevent your bake from sticking to the sides.
- Cream the butter and caster sugar together until you have a light and fluffy mixture, then beat in the eggs with a bit of the flour. Carefully fold in the rest of the flour, the baking powder and your mashed bananas.
- Pour the mixture into the greased tin and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it’s well risen and golden brown.
Top Tip: To test your banana bread, use a thin skewer. When it’s ready, the skewer will come out clean!
- Cool your banana bread in the tin for approximately 10 minutes, then carefully remove and place on a wire rack.
- Mix the icing sugar with a few drops of water to create a thin mixture. When your banana bread is nice and cool, drizzle over the icing and decorate with a topping of your choice!
An alternative vegan banana bread recipe
There’s no need to fuss over egg substitutions when it comes to vegan banana bread – as the banana does it all for you! So, for this vegan banana recipe, all you need is:
- 3-4 x mashed bananas (again, make sure they’re very ripe)
- 100g of brown sugar
- 75g of vegetable oil, or your favourite baking oil
- 220g of self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 3 teaspoons of cinnamon or nutmeg
You can also include a handful of chopped dried fruit and nuts for an extra bit of flavour!
How to make a vegan banana bread
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease your baking tin.
- Mix together the mashed bananas, vegetable oil and sugar.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir well. If you’re including nuts, chocolate or fruit in your recipe, add those into the mix, too!
- Pour into a loaf tin and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Top tip: halfway through your baking time, check on your vegan banana bread to see if it is browning on top. If necessary, cover with foil to keep it nice and golden!
- Before slicing and serving, allow your banana bread to cool.
If you’re looking for another fruity, sweet treat recipe, why not try our easy apple crumble? Or serve up this tasty banana bread after a heart-warming dish of steak and mushroom pie. Pick up your favourite at SPAR.
Now you’ve read our delicious banana bread recipe, head to your local SPAR to shop your ingredients!
Find your local SPAR
Find your local SPAR