So you’ve decided to indulge in the ultimate summer treat: a homemade ice cream sundae. Creamy, covered in gooey sauce and crunchy toppings, ice cream sundaes can be enjoyed in the sun with your nearest and dearest (or as a moment to yourself!). In this guide, we’ll walk you through how to make the perfect ice cream sundae and share a few of our favourite recipes, toppings, tips and tricks.
How to Make an Ice Cream Sundae
An ice cream sundae is made up of several components: ice cream, a sauce and lots of toppings. Choosing which toppings to add is probably the most difficult part of creating your masterpiece, but here is a step-by- step guide on how to make a sundae:
- Line your glass (or bowl) with lots of sauce. Whether it’s chocolate, caramel, strawberry or something else, make sure you drizzle lots of it down the inside of the glass. This way, your sauce-to-ice cream ratio will be spot on.
- Once you’ve chosen your ice cream (are you going for the classic vanilla or something a little more exotic?), scoop it into your prepped glass or bowl. If you opt for a combination of ice cream flavours, think about the order of placement. Do you want the mint to touch the chocolate flavour? Do you want to keep the pistachio away from the strawberry? It’s a nice way to create lots of flavour combinations in one little spoonful – as well as a colourful masterpiece.
- Next up, pour sauce over the top of the ice cream. How much or how little is up to you! If you’re feeling adventurous (or the little ones can’t decide on what they want), you could even use two different sauces on top. We recommend strawberry and chocolate or lemon and caramel.
- Now comes the best bit! Sprinkle your toppings over the sauce, making sure to spread them evenly over the top. Pop a wafer in too and voilà, a cool, tasty ice cream sundae!
Hot Fudge Sundae
To make a hot fudge sundae, make sure your ice cream is very cold (skip leaving it out to soften beforehand). This means that the hot fudge won’t melt the ice cream to a liquid before you can eat it. For the hot fudge sauce, pour evaporated milk into a bain-marie (a heatproof dish over a saucepan filled with water). Add broken pieces of chocolate to the evaporated milk, leave on a low heat and stir until melted. Pour this hot fudge sauce over your ice cream and sprinkle with extra chunks of fudge.
Vegan Ice Cream Sundae
Want to make a vegan ice cream sundae? Just swap the dairy products for vegan alternatives. Vegan ice cream is becoming much more widely available, but you could also use sorbet as a base too. Fruit, nuts and vegan chocolate all make great toppings and non-dairy whipped cream is available too. Try topping your vegan ice cream sundae with Oreos (yes, they’re vegan!), vegan marshmallows and vegan dark chocolate chips for a real delight! Sprinkle with a dash of cocoa powder if you’re going for a picture-perfect dessert.
Ice Cream Sundae Toppings
Need some inspiration? In our eyes, there’s no such thing as “too much”, so check out these ice cream sundae toppings for a twist on a classic:
- Chopped fruit including strawberries, bananas, pineapple, blueberries, raspberries and mango
- Crushed honeycomb, biscuits or chocolate
- Sprinkles and sweets (gummy sweets work really well!)
- Whipped cream
- Maraschino cherries
- Chopped nuts including walnuts, pistachios and cashews
- Cereal pieces like Cheerios or Rice Crispies.
Ice Cream Sundae Tips and Tricks
When adding the finishing touches, why not alternate between layers of ice cream and toppings? Almost like a sweet lasagne, there’s nothing stopping you from adding a variety of flavours throughout the sundae. You could even add a different topping for each layer!
- Warm your spoon, or ice cream scoop, up before serving the ice cream. Pop it in a cup of hot water for a few minutes or run it under a hot tap. This will make the ice cream much easier to scoop and serve.
- If you don’t have a sundae glass, try serving your ice cream sundae in a Mason jar. Failing that, any glass jar you have (old jam jars, for example) will make for a great way to serve the ice cream. Glass works best so you can see all the delicious ingredients together – yum!
- Put homemade treats at the bottom of the glass for an extra little delight as you near the end of your ice cream sundae. Check out our chocolate brownie recipe or classic shortbread recipe for the goodies.
Pick Up Your Ice Cream Sundae Ingredients from SPAR
Make sure to pop into your local SPAR to grab all your ice cream sundae ingredients. Love our guide to making ice cream sundaes? Sign up to our newsletter for new recipes, inspiration, competitions and more!
Find your local SPAR