Healthy Flapjacks Recipe
Free from refined sugars and full of flavour, our healthy flapjacks recipe is ideal for batch cooking and freezing for a rainy day. Take these to the picnic for a real crowd-pleaser.
At a Glance
How To Make Healthy Flapjacks
Flapjacks might look healthy, but they’re deceptively naughty. That’s why we’ve pulled together a deliciously healthy flapjacks recipe to keep you going, whether you’re cutting down on sugar or trying out a new diet. Perfect for children and parents, our easy flapjacks recipe is one to make with the kids – the perfect family activity. Or, double the portions and take to your next picnic!
What you'll need:
300g rolled oats
225g dates, chopped (or another dried fruit, e.g. apricots or raisins)
60g desiccated coconut
1 ½ lemons, zested
Juice of 1 lemon
1 ½ apples, grated
2 tbsp maple or agave syrup – or honey!
100g margarine or coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C Fan /200°/gas mark 6 and grease a baking tray (line with baking paper for extra security). Top tip: we recommend using a swiss roll tin or something similar.
- Add the oats, chopped fruit, coconut, lemon juice, zest and grated apple into a food processor or blender. Pulse until the ingredients are well mixed and broken down into your ideal texture.
- In a saucepan, add the honey, syrup and butter (or oil), and heat over a gentle flame until melted.
- Transfer the dry mixture into the saucepan and stir well, making sure it’s completely coated in the syrup.
- Pour your healthy flapjack mixture into the greased tin and press it in to form an even surface. Top tip: Press down hard to make sure your flapjacks hold together.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes until your flapjacks turn golden brown.
- While your bake is still hot, use a knife to cut it into 12 equal pieces. Fancy a smaller snack? Cut your flapjacks into fingers – perfect for dunking into your afternoon tea. Once you’ve cut them into shape, leave them in the tin to cool.
Receive our latest deals, news and competitions straight to your inbox!