Homemade Nut Roast
Increasingly a yuletide staple; the vegan nut roast is now the main of choice for many. So, if you’re catering for vegan and vegetarian guests this Christmas and are in need of an easy homemade nut roast recipe, we’ve got you covered.
At a Glance
How to Make Homemade Nut Roast
Making the perfect vegan nut roast needn’t be a daunting task. And our no-nonsense homemade nut roast recipe yields a flavoursome festive delight, every time.
What you'll need:
- 220g mixed nuts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 100g fine breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- 240ml vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries. (Optional for if you’re seeking a quintessentially Christmas nut roast.)
- Preheat oven to 180 °c
- Sauté onions and garlic in a frying pan until translucent
- Pulse the nuts in a food processor until fine
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Pour the mixture into a lined loaf tin and smooth down the top with a spatula
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until top starts to brown
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from tin
- Serve and enjoy your homemade nut roast! (Ensuring you’ve left enough for seconds!)
Tips & Tweaks
Feeling decorative? Add a smattering of whole nuts to the top of your vegan nut roast after baking; the design is up to you!
Allegedly, vegan nut roasts were a favourite of John Harvey Kellogg, brother of – you guessed it – the inventor of corn flakes, who served them to guests long before the vegan nut roast became popular. A Christmas nut roast pioneer!
And there you have it! A perfect homemade nut roast, just in time for the sleigh bells to start jingling. Pick up all of your vegan nut roast ingredients from your local SPAR. For more foodie inspiration and festive fun, be sure to sign up to our E-newsletter. And don’t forget to visit our Christmas Hub; filled with recipes, activities, and blogs for the perfect festive season.
Receive our latest deals, news and competitions straight to your inbox!