Lemon Drizzle Cake
Lemon Drizzle Cake
Easy lemon drizzle cake recipes are a myth, right? Wrong. It’s just a matter of timing. We’ve broken everything you need to know into a few simple steps. Let’s get zesty.
At a Glance
How to make a perfect Lemon Drizzle cake
Our simple lemon drizzle cake recipe is the ideal summer afternoon activity for the whole family. Whether served as part of a breezy afternoon tea, or eaten on the couch once the kids have done to bed, it’s the perfect summer sweet treat.
What you'll need:
For the cake
225g unsalted butter
250g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
Zest of 2 lemons
For the drizzle
Juice of 1½ lemons
80g caster sugar
Icing sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan.
- Grease a loaf tin with butter and line with baking paper.
- In a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time. Then, beat in the flour and the lemon zest until well combined.
- Bake for approximately 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- While your lemon drizzle tray bake is cooling, prepare your drizzle by mixing the juice of 1½ lemons and 80g caster sugar together.
- Prick the surface of your lemon drizzle loaf with a skewer and pour over the mixture. The juice will sink in while the heat of the cake will cause the drizzle to form a deliciously crisp topping.
- If you’re looking for a more decorative finish, dust with a light layer of icing sugar!
Tips & Tweaks
Avoid the horror of a sunken lemon drizzle cake by keeping the oven door closed for at least 40 minutes. We get it, you’re eager to see how your zesty showstopper is doing, but control yourself.
As well as being delicious, lemon drizzle cake is delightfully enigmatic, and very little is known about its origins. Some argue that it’s a riff on pound cake dating back to the 1700s; others attribute the zingy crowd-pleaser to a Jewish woman maned Evelyn Rose, who inadvertently whipped up an icon in her kitchen in 1967.
Pick up everything you need to follow our lemon drizzle cake recipe at your local SPAR. And be sure to sign up to our E-newsletter for more cake-spiration, as well as regular competitions and updates.
Receive our latest deals, news and competitions straight to your inbox!