Red Wine Penne Pasta
Whether you’re planning an all-important date night, or simply looking for a midweek meal bursting with flavour, our red wine penne pasta recipe delivers. Serve with sourdough garlic bread and grated cheese for an authentic restaurant feel.
At a Glance
How to make Red Wine Penne Pasta
Impress your date (and yourself when you tuck into the leftovers) with our easy-to-make red wine penne pasta. Who says simplicity can’t be sumptuous?
What you'll need:
- In a large saucepan, heat the garlic and oil over a medium heat. Add black pepper and 1.5 tbsp of butter and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is fragrant but not browned – this should take about 3 minutes.
- Add the wine, increase heat to medium-high and bring your red wine pasta sauce to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until the liquid has reduced by two-thirds (around 20–25 minutes). Then, season with salt, cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water until al dente – about 3 minutes shy of the recommended cooking time.
- Drain the pasta and add it to your red wine sauce, along with the remaining 6.5 tbsp of butter. Set your pot over a medium heat and bring the sauce to a simmer. Cook the red wine pasta dish, tossing often, until the pasta is well coated, and the sauce has thickened (about 3 minutes). Taste and season with more salt or pepper if needed.
- Divide pasta among bowls, drizzle with oil and top with a generous serving of Parmesan before serving.
Receive our latest deals, news and competitions straight to your inbox!