This simple shortbread recipe makes around 30 fingers, or 12-15 larger shortbread biscuits. Perfect for dunking in your tea, smothered in melted chocolate or even for making millionaire’s shortbread – all you need is our easy shortbread recipe, some caramel and a melted chocolate topping!
Easy Shortbread Recipe
Cook Time: 35 mins
If you’re after the best shortbread recipe, we’ve got you covered. Shortbread biscuits are pretty simple – which is what makes them so great for adding to desserts – but they’re also an eternal all-round crowd pleaser that kids and adults just can’t resist.
What you'll need
300g plain flour
100g caster sugar
An approx. 12x10 inch baking tray or roasting tin
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, or Gas mark 3.
- Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the sugar.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips. The mixture will be crumbly at first, but it will begin to cling together.
- Once the mixture has started to bind together, transfer it to a flat, floured surface and knead lightly until it forms a smooth dough.
- Press the dough into your baking tin, making sure that the surface is level with a spatula. Prick all over with a fork.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the shortbread reaches a very pale golden brown colour.
- Lightly sprinkle over some sugar and leave to cool in the tray for around 10 minutes.
- Then, cut out your fingers or shortbread biscuits. Carefully lift them out with a palette knife and leave them to cool completely on a wire rack before digging in
And that’s our easy Scottish shortbread recipe! Fancy trying it for yourself? Head down to your local SPAR to pick up the ingredients you need for a perfect batch of shortbread biscuits. Looking for something a little more adventurous? Check out our full selection of dessert recipes, where you’ll find Eton mess, sticky toffee pudding and so much more… Or sign up to our E-newsletter to receive all the latest SPAR recipes.