1. Start by preheating your oven to 200°C, or 180°C for a fan oven. Then slice the ends from the garlic bulbs and remove the white skin before rubbing in olive oil and wrapping in foil. Place them in the oven to roast for 25 minutes.
2. Take a sprig of coriander and finely chop the leaves and stem, then set aside. Now dice your onion and slice your chilli.
3. Add your chopped onions to a frying pan for five minutes or until they start to brown, followed by your coriander stems and sliced chilli, frying for another minute.
4. Drain your tinned tomatoes and add to the frying pan, followed by the water. Bring the mixture to the boil before adding the lid and letting it simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Remove the garlic from the oven and finely chop.
6. Add the garlic, salt and pepper, and half of your chopped coriander leaves before squeezing the juice from the lime into your mixture. Simmer on a low heat for five minutes.
7. Finally, remove from the heat and add your leftover chopped coriander leaves, stirring in evenly. Set aside to cool then place in foil covered bowl in the fridge.
Now you know how to make homemade tomato salsa, why not whip up a batch, or even add a spicy twist to make your very own fresh tomato salsa recipe?
Get everything you need for your fresh tomato salsa recipe at your local convenience store and impress your friends with a homemade taste of Mexico.
*Recipe adapted from Foodista, licensed under CC BY 3.0.