Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
Cook Time: 40 mins
This tangy Easter classic is worth the effort!
What you'll need
- 200g shortcrust pastry
- 3 lemons
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 100g granulated sugar
- 50g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- Cream to serve (optional)
- Use 250g ready made shortcrust pastry to line a 20-22cm loose bottomed fluted tart tin.
- Prick the base, line with parchment and baking beans and bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 15 minutes, remove the paper and beans and bake for another 5 minutes until the pastry is set and beginning to brown.
- Finely grate the zest from 2 lemons and squeeze the juice from 3. Beat together with 4 egg yolks and 2 tablespoons cornflour. Stir in 100ml water and 100g granulated sugar, heat gently, stirring constantly until thick. Stir in 50g butter until melted. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk 4 egg whites until stiff, add 175g caster sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time whisking well between each until you have stiff and glossy meringue.
- Spoon the lemon mixture into the pastry case, top with the meringue, swirling the top and bake at 170C for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving with cream if liked.
Inspired to try your own Lemon Meringue Pie recipe? Pop down to your nearest convenience store today to grab all the fresh ingredients you need.