Hearty Homemade Sausage Rolls Recipe
Wondering how to make sausage rolls? Look no further – our homemade sausage rolls recipe is the one to beat. Deliciously easy, flaky and light. Better yet, double up the ingredients and freeze some for later! You'll be the pick of the picnic with this recipe.
At a Glance
How To Make Sausage Rolls
The best sausage rolls recipe is adaptable – which is why we use basic ingredients so that you can add your own special twists. Looking for an added burst of flavour? Here are some easy homemade sausage rolls additions:
- Cheese and marmite
- Chorizo and tomato
- Sage and apple
What you'll need:
- 320g puff pastry
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- ½ garlic clove
- 1tbsp English mustard
- 400g pork sausages or your favourite veggie or vegan alternative
- Handful of parsley
- 1 beaten egg, or your chosen milk alternative for glazing
- Salt flakes and crushed black pepper, to taste
- These homemade sausage rolls require you to firstly preheat the oven to 200˚C (180˚C fan).
- Crush the garlic and fry in a pan with the onion until softened. Then transfer to a large mixing bowl and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, peel away the skins from your sausages and blend the meat with the parsley on a high speed, adding a splash of water to slightly loosen the mixture.
- Combine the sausage meat and mustard with the onions and garlic and mix together.
- Unroll your puff pastry onto a chopping board and cut in half lengthways. Divide the sausage meat mixture into two and spread across the pastry in a sausage shape. Top tip: For the best sausage rolls, leave approx. 1cm around the edge for easy rolling.
- Tightly roll up the pastry around the meat – finishing with the join underneath and pressing lightly to seal.
- Brush with your egg or chosen milk alternative before cutting each roll into quarters, leaving you with eight equal-sized homemade sausage rolls.
- Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and crushed black pepper to taste.
- Place the rolls on a baking sheet and bake for 25-35 minutes – until the pastry is well puffed, golden and crispy, and the meat is cooked through.
- Serve up with a side of pickle, salsa or ketchup! These homemade sausage rolls are delicious cold or hot.
Receive our latest deals, news and competitions straight to your inbox!